Why was the climbers of color post removed?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 57 16
13ers: 49 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Why was the climbers of color post removed?

Post by Scott P »

as defined by you
It was defined by the dictionary, not by me.
Is that sexist?
Here is the definition of sexism:

A sexist is someone who discriminates on the basis of gender.

Sexism has only to do with gender rather than sexual orientation.

Technically, the thread you are referring to could be called discrimination, if someone really wanted to make an issue of it.
Why isn't Gabriel's version of "racism", as defined by you, accepted?
It probably would be accepted, but Gabriel has a history of posting such threads and then he always swears at everyone and calls them racists. He has even called the owner of this website a racist several times, and for no good reason.

Usually I stay out of such threads, but this is nothing new. You can read all of the posts on your own if you would like (although many of them have been deleted):

https://www.14ers.com/forum/search.php? ... 3&sr=posts
The key is discrimination Scott.
Kevmonster, you haven't been around that long yet, but read the posts in the link above. Maybe start with this one:

https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 12#p603612
Last edited by Scott P on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TallGrass
14ers: List not added
13ers: 26

Post by TallGrass »

Gabriel has a history ... You can read all of the posts on your own if you would like (although many of them have been deleted)
Gabriel wrote:As an indigenous climber, I need to point out that this is really ignorant. White folks are immigrants to my continent and are natives in Europe. speak the language? English is the language of a small island off the coast of Western Asia, not one of the many native languages of this beautiful continent.
Gabriel wrote:This is actually a private land issue. It belongs to the indigenous Latino group that has written title to it. I'm a member of that cultural group and of course a climber. Stop being so ignorant of history.
spiderman
14ers: 58 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

A bit off topic, but I did see a black person (from Canada) climbing Kinabalu in Malaysia. That was the first time that I saw one on a highpoint. It was truly an astonishing sight. I do hope that we have more climbers of color. It doesn't bother me one bit if there are color-only groups. As long as other people are happy, I am happy too. If they want to hike with me, that is great. If not, that is fine too. I don't want to judge other people until I have walked in their shoes for a day and I really don't want to walk in their shoes if they are already stinky from a long hike; conversely I am sure that they don't want to go anywhere near my stinky old trail runners that have been dragged through the mud of Borneo.
FrancesGray

Post by FrancesGray »

Scott P wrote:
Why isn't Gabriel's version of "racism", as defined by you, accepted?
It probably would be accepted,
Strange to say that's fair - both sexism and racism is acceptable here.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58 46 22
13ers: 168 58 45
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Gabriel wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Notlooking for confrontation.
Then don't call people racist
f**k you
Gabriel, I'm not sure if you were trying to get booted from the forum but you've succeeded.

And, btw, you basically posted the same thread twice yesterday, so I removed the duplicate.
“Today, up on this hill
I'm counting all the killers
They sway as they swarm
A look of gluttons in their eyes
They mutter as the body loses warmth
They pick your bones like locks inside a tomb
And take great care to not take care of you”
nomad
Trip Reports (1)

Post by nomad »

=D>
we have enough of this garbage being peddled elsewhere.
Thank you Bill.
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.
Scott P
14ers: 57 16
13ers: 49 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Gabriel, I'm not sure if you were trying to get booted from the forum but you've succeeded.
Sad, but necessary. :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14ers.com and other climbing groups that I am familiar with have always embraced those with different backgrounds. Unfortunately, Gabriel did not and would often call others names, swear, and make racist posts. Everyone has a bad day now and then, but it was certainly a pattern.

Another sad thing is that if he wanted more minorities to climb (with him or with others), then he would be encouraged and supported, had he not worded his posts to be inflammatory and without his history of name calling, racism, and insisting that everyone but him was a racist.

I hope that he finds peace.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Sí se puede 84

Post by Sí se puede 84 »

The post was removed because white hikers fear running into a group of minorities in the mountains. Particularly minority males

chuy
montanahiker
14ers: 35
13ers: 155

Post by montanahiker »

Sí se puede 84 wrote:The post was removed because white hikers fear running into a group of minorities in the mountains. Particularly minority males

chuy
No, we just don't want to interact with racists like you. Btw, if you're kicked off and then create a new account and start posting the same day it's a little obvious.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
benlen
14ers: 58 5
13ers: 15 10 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

I haven't followed all of Gabriel's posts, but there have been overly sensitive forum members who have highjacked threads here before (for LGBTQ hikers, for example) and that needs to be scrutinized too.

Being of the ruling, white, male hierarchy, I think it's refreshing if folks in minority groups want to get out together, and use this forum as a tool for that, to go to the mountains. I offer that with the proviso that snarky members here aren't like, "I'm white, why am I not invited?" and folks like Gabriel don't purposefully try to fan the flames of these debates.
Sí se puede 84

Post by Sí se puede 84 »

montanahiker wrote:
Sí se puede 84 wrote:The post was removed because white hikers fear running into a group of minorities in the mountains. Particularly minority males

chuy
No, we just don't want to interact with racists like you. Btw, if you're kicked off and then create a new account and start posting the same day it's a little obvious.
No it's really obvious
TallGrass

Post by TallGrass »

Sí se puede 84 wrote:If you are interested in participating in any of the climbers of color trips send a pm.
chuy
M
chuy
montanahiker wrote:Btw, if you're kicked off and then create a new account and start posting the same day it's a little obvious.
Sí se puede 84 wrote:No it's really obvious
"Spanish for "Yes, it is possible" or, roughly, "Yes, one can" ... the motto of the United Farm Workers."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sí_se_puede

"Chuy is actually a nickname for people with the name Jesus, (J is pronounced as an H.) The nickname is most commonly used Mexicans and Naturalized Mexican Americans. It is commonly used by Mexicans and 1st generation Mexican Americans. It is less commonly used by 2nd generation and later Mexican-Americans and Americans of Mexican descent."
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chuy
Gabriel wrote:I suggest that all the white people go back to Europe and leave Colorado to us natives.