Pack found on Massive

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58 21
13ers: 106 25
Trip Reports (56)

Pack found on Massive

Post by daway8 »

Our team came across an abandoned pack on Massive East Ridge yesterday well above treeline. It was clear that it had been there for a fair amount of time with no signs of anyone being around.

Seeing it still present on our way down, and with no tracks/signs of anyone being recently above our below that location, one of our team members packed it out.

The pack was dropped off at the local sheriff's office with a report of the circumstances under which it was found, just in case it might relate to any missing person or such.
Last edited by daway8 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenonion
14ers: 41 1
13ers: 2

Re: Oak found on Massive

Post by greenonion »

Oak or pack??
daway8
Trip Reports (56)

Re: Oak found on Massive

Post by daway8 »

greenonion wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:43 pm Oak or pack??
Lol, that's what happens when you use the swipe keyboard to quickly post something before running out the door...

Oaks are quite rare above treeline :lol:
jjacquay712
14ers: List not added

Re: Pack found on Massive

Post by jjacquay712 »

Number 6 checking in! Well, it's really weird reading this. On my descent I thought I saw someone between rocks, a little to the left of the ridge, with gear strewn below. I went down to investigate, and provide assistance if needed. But when I got down there, I couldn't find anyone. Then I climb up a bit onto the Ridge and see this backpack.

Super weird. I thought I had hallucinated the person. Hope if someone was actually down there, they're OK.
daway8
Trip Reports (56)

Post by daway8 »

jjacquay712 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:06 pm Number 6 checking in! Well, it's really weird reading this. On my descent I thought I saw someone between rocks, a little to the left of the ridge, with gear strewn below. I went down to investigate, and provide assistance if needed. But when I got down there, I couldn't find anyone. Then I climb up a bit onto the Ridge and see this backpack.

Super weird. I thought I had hallucinated the person. Hope if someone was actually down there, they're OK.
Hey number 6! Glad you caught up and joined us for a while! It's always fun to meet up with folks on the mountain!

Yes, everything about that pack was really odd. Didn't find any ID or such in it and we didn't spot signs of anyone around, nor had there been any reports with the sheriff/SAR. Hopefully we didn't miss any important clues...

Well likely remain an unsolved mystery - hopefully it's owner is ok.
d_baker
14ers: 58 15
13ers: 287 9
Trip Reports (58)

Post by d_baker »

So daway, did you give each person from your group a number?! Lol
You, I think, shall be #6.
And you, well you're a perfect 4.
justiner
14ers: 58 4
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (33)

Post by justiner »

Weird. In 2017 I came upon a pack at the base of Gash Ridge on the Winchell Lakes side. Judging from the vintage of the pack, it had been there for a while - big pack too! Lots of gear you wouldn't just leave behind.

I didn't want to suppose how it had happened there.
daway8
Trip Reports (56)

Post by daway8 »

d_baker wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:20 pm So daway, did you give each person from your group a number?! Lol
You, I think, shall be #6.
And you, well you're a perfect 4.
Lol, we started with 6; one had to bail early on. Then up above treeline someone caught up with us in the scrambly section and he joined us and got dubbed number 6...
3DCJ
14ers: 54 4

Post by 3DCJ »

justiner wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:24 pm Weird. In 2017 I came upon a pack at the base of Gash Ridge on the Winchell Lakes side. Judging from the vintage of the pack, it had been there for a while - big pack too! Lots of gear you wouldn't just leave behind.

I didn't want to suppose how it had happened there.
It was probably a homing beacon for the UFO you saw burning up over Longs a few weeks back. If you would have left it where you found it in 2017, we might have been faced with alien destruction right about now. Good Job!!