Missing Climber Kit Carson/Challenger

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Custer County SAR
14ers: List not added

Missing Climber Kit Carson/Challenger

Post by Custer County SAR »

Saguache County has received a report of an overdue 41 yo male climber in the Kit Carson / Challenger Point area. Luis Corkern was reported to have ascended Kit Carson via the north ridge route on Saturday July 9th, making the summit at approximately 4pm.

He planned to descend via the Challenger Point summit and the standard route, but has not returned to his vehicle at the trailhead. He is approximately 5'7", 180-190 lbs; and was wearing a white climbing helmet with a racoon tail added to it. His backpack is burnt orange/maroon in color. He may be wearing a grey or black T-shirt and has rain gear. If you have any information please contact the Saguache County Sheriff's Office at 719-655-2544.
subject.jpg
subject.jpg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
Be advised that multiple agencies, including aviation and ground assets will be searching in the area on Monday July 11th.
https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always tell someone where you're going and when you'll be back, even if you aren’t hiking alone.
That person should also know what vehicle you are driving, what trail head you will be parked at and what your intended route is.
kushrocks
14ers: 58 25
13ers: 58 3
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Missing Climber Kit Carson/Challenger

Post by kushrocks »

Bump for an update or anyone who might have been in the area over the weekend.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
painless4u2
14ers: 58
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

You might wish to post this on the Accident page. Lost and Found usually refers to gear rather than people. Hoping for the best on finding him safe and alive.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Speculating of course ...but I'm thinking he possibly might have missed the turn off on climbers right on the descent to get back to the Avenue to go back over Challenger.

If that would be the case he might have descended into the drainage to the south in the Spanish Creek area. There is a way to walk out from there but then he also may have tried to re-ascend from there, a bit more difficult.

Hoping for a positive outcome here.
Wentzl
14ers: 58 22
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (48)

Post by Wentzl »

Hey Nyker. If I am not mistaken, you took a wrong turn off Kit Carson and posted one of the best, I got lost and got home anyway stories, I can remember. I hope this guy is doing a repeat.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY
Ptglhs
14ers: 58 8
13ers: 81 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

"Sunmited at 4pm" yikes. I hope he is found safely and soon.
Crestoner
14ers: List not added

Post by Crestoner »

I was on the high bench above the Willow Lake waterfall at 1800 Saturday, and went into my tent (close to the trail up there) ~2030. Anyone descending from that area (e.g., Challenger Point's standard route) would have had to walk right past me...and someone who had summitted Kit Carson at 1600 would have been at least 2 hours out from passing by my campsite. I did not see anyone pass by that evening. I passed that info to a Saguache County deputy.

Hoping for a good outcome here.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Wentzl wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:07 pm Hey Nyker. If I am not mistaken, you took a wrong turn off Kit Carson and posted one of the best, I got lost and got home anyway stories, I can remember. I hope this guy is doing a repeat.
Exactly. Hoping he did the same...
hellmanm
14ers: 50
13ers: 38 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by hellmanm »

BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58 46 22
13ers: 168 58 45
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Oh, that’s awful. Sounds like he tried to shortcut down the area of Kirk Couloir. :(
“Today, up on this hill
I'm counting all the killers
They sway as they swarm
A look of gluttons in their eyes
They mutter as the body loses warmth
They pick your bones like locks inside a tomb
And take great care to not take care of you”
Wentzl
14ers: 58 22
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (48)

Post by Wentzl »

Oh damn. The Kirk Couloir shortcut. This one got a lot of attention a few years back. While I am not a big fan of signs (remember the debate about a sign on Capitol to stop people taking another dead end shortcut) this might be a good contender for some sort of warning. It is a very tempting mistake that anyone could make.

condolences to the family.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY
Skimo95
14ers: 58 5 14
13ers: 94 1

Post by Skimo95 »

That is terrible news, I’m very sorry for the family and friends involved. I believe there is a warning sign near the Kirk Couloir area, but I’ve never climbed it. Absolutely awful, RIP.