Missing Climber Kit Carson/Challenger

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Missing Climber Kit Carson/Challenger

Post by Jim Davies »

There used to be a sign there warning against descending, but maybe he missed it in the dark.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58 4
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:30 pm Oh damn. The Kirk Couloir shortcut. This one got a lot of attention a few years back. While I am not a big fan of signs (remember the debate about a sign on Capitol to stop people taking another dead end shortcut) this might be a good contender for some sort of warning. It is a very tempting mistake that anyone could make.

condolences to the family.
I was there last summer and saw a warning sign.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58 46 22
13ers: 168 58 45
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Yes, the sign was still there as of last winter
“Today, up on this hill
I'm counting all the killers
They sway as they swarm
A look of gluttons in their eyes
They mutter as the body loses warmth
They pick your bones like locks inside a tomb
And take great care to not take care of you”
Wentzl
14ers: 58 22
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (48)

Post by Wentzl »

Jim Davies wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:40 pm There used to be a sign there warning against descending, but maybe he missed it in the dark.
They said he made the summit around 4 p.m. so unlikely he made the decision to commit on his descent route after dark. But beyond that, let's not speculate.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY
Cide
14ers: 52 3
13ers: 1

Post by Cide »

Rest in Peace. Glad the responding parties are also safe.
"Salients in the Void"
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

Very tragic and sad. My condolences and thoughts to the family and friends.

(I was up there on N Ridge a few hours before him and can confirm the “Danger…” sign is still standing in that area.)
HikerGuy
14ers: 58
13ers: 323 8
Trip Reports (7)

Post by HikerGuy »

Oh man, reading this story is tough, https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... de-cristos.
Myndee said their three children are remembering their father in different ways. She passed their notes along in a message that read:

Dylan, 10: "He had an amazing personality and I wouldn't have picked anyone else to be my dad."
Gavin, 12: "He treated us like friends and was open with us. He was calm and loving."
Sky, 13: "There are so many amazing things I can't pick just one. He had the best sense of humor and was so kind."
May his family and friends find peace and comfort.
Bale
14ers: List not added

Post by Bale »

R.I.P.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Dobsons
14ers: 58 6
13ers: 257 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dobsons »

As a parent of two boys this is the ultimate fear in our hobby... Not coming home to the family doing what we love. Heartbroken for this family. Praying for peace in this very difficult time
Ed_Groves
14ers: 16
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Ed_Groves »

My deepest condolences to his partner and his children, as well as anyone else who was close to him.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 82
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

So sad. My condolences to his family and friends. This mountain seems to be claiming people on a yearly basis.
Century Bound, eventually.
globreal
14ers: 58 1 27
13ers: 196 2 8
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Darn, I was hoping for a positive outcome on this. He was a young father and this is going to be so hard for his children. May God bring peace and comfort to his extended family, children, and friends.
1 John 5
11 And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God’s Son does not have life.