Missing Climber Kit Carson/Challenger

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jorts
14ers: 51 3 1
13ers: 78 15 8
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Missing Climber Kit Carson/Challenger

Post by Jorts »

This is heartbreaking to read. Condolences to his family and friends.

It seems like a lot of accidents and epics happen around Kit Carson. It’s becoming the Bermuda Triangle of 14ers.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @summityinzer
Strava: Brent Herring
mtree
14ers: List not added

Post by mtree »

A lot can go wrong on Kit Carson. Getting lost, taking an alternate route, rockfall, weather which includes lightning, flash flooding, and dangerous hail. Its exposed and remote with no easy escape. A deceptively dangerous peak.

Very sad outcome.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
ltlFish99
14ers: 47 2 2
13ers: 51

Post by ltlFish99 »

How sad,
to be enjoying such beauty while pursuing a passion, then have it end in such in an unfortunate way.. i absolutely love the mountains, and always am sad to read of such events.
RIP, condolences to his friends and family.
pcrotty41
14ers: 42

Post by pcrotty41 »

Is this the sign? Picture taken ca. fall 2015 and I can't remember where it was maybe between KC and Challenger..Condolences to the family.
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg (408.8 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Tornadoman
14ers: 58 7
13ers: 248 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

^^^ Yes, that's the sign. I found it in my pictures from these peaks last year as well. It is indeed in the general area of the Challenger/KC saddle. Rest in peace to the climber, and condolences to his family and friends.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Marmot72
14ers: 58 2
13ers: 542 17
Trip Reports (33)

Post by Marmot72 »

There was not a sign there when I did those back in 07, but it is a big mountain and it’s very easy to descend past the avenue on the way back from KC to Challenger. (I made that mistake in my haste to get back to a partner who was waiting for me at Willow Lake.) And this was not “back” for him, but new, as he used the north ridge route on KC. Very sad news and my heart goes out to his family.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42 3 2
13ers: 19 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

While I consider myself an experienced and reasonably prudent climber, there have been at least one or two occasions over the years that, had things gone just a bit differently, instead of a learning experience and good adventure story it might have resulted in a Search and Rescue Mission (or worse) so I extend not judgement but condolences.

It's easier than a lot of people realize to get off route on certain 14ers--it's not inevitable but one of those things you don't think will happen to you until it does: e.g. you're tired things begin to look alike and before you know it you're in a sketchy situation.
nyker
14ers: 58
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Very sorry to hear this.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
duncanmil
14ers: 58
13ers: 3

Post by duncanmil »

Urban Snowshoer wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:17 pm While I consider myself an experienced and reasonably prudent climber, there have been at least one or two occasions over the years that, had things gone just a bit differently, instead of a learning experience and good adventure story it might have resulted in a Search and Rescue Mission (or worse) so I extend not judgement but condolences.

It's easier than a lot of people realize to get off route on certain 14ers--it's not inevitable but one of those things you don't think will happen to you until it does: e.g. you're tired things begin to look alike and before you know it you're in a sketchy situation.
Thanks Snowshoer for this well said comment.
Mountainsroam_2012
14ers: 57
13ers: 32

Post by Mountainsroam_2012 »

Jorts wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:03 am This is heartbreaking to read. Condolences to his family and friends.

It seems like a lot of accidents and epics happen around Kit Carson. It’s becoming the Bermuda Triangle of 14ers.
Yes this seems to be a really hot spot for unfortunate accidents. I have much respect for Kit after summiting 3-4 years ago, and hope to have an opportunity to summit via the N Ridge route someday (so much to do, so little time we have). I was on Columbia Point last year and watched a couple people on the N Ridge route ascending. Looks like a spectacular route..

RIP to the fallen climber and sorry to his family for their loss.
climbingyogi
14ers: 43 2
13ers: 11

Post by climbingyogi »

This deeply saddens me, as did Maddie's death on Kit Carson in October. I had my own SAR incident on Kit Carson in 2020 after I missed the Avenue on the descent and ended up in class 5 terrain with my 60 lb dog.

My most sincere condolences to Luis's family and friends. My heart goes out to you.
bsiegs
14ers: 58 4
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bsiegs »

climbskiyogi wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:06 pm I had my own SAR incident on Kit Carson in 2020 after I missed the Avenue on the descent and ended up in class 5 terrain with my 60 lb dog.
I just listened to your story on The Sharp End podcast the other day. Thanks for sharing it.