Trip Report Editing Issue

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58 10
13ers: 188 9
Trip Reports (16)

Trip Report Editing Issue

Post by yaktoleft13 »

I'm working on a trip report, and I'm having a weird glitch when I attempt to add an extra line in between sections of text. When I save as inactive and go to preview the report, it's deleted my additions. I've tried a number of times and continually have this problem, but only in a couple of select sections. Anyone seen this before or have a fix?
Wentzl
14ers: 58 22
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Trip Report Editing Issue

Post by Wentzl »

I have mentioned this to Bill twice, where I have saved to inactive and lost entire reports.

Copy and save whatever you type before you click either save and publish or save as inactive because you never know what might happen!
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58 10
13ers: 188 9
Trip Reports (16)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Yeah I've had that happen too, but that seems like a one off. This happens every single time, which just doesn't seem to make sense
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58 46 22
13ers: 168 58 45
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I'll take a look tomorrow. Since you can replicate it, could you post a print-screen image of the editor showing the exact sequence that will cause the problem? that would be very helpful. AND if you could PM me the VIEW->Source Code html text which has the "insert" completed but you haven't saved the report yet.

Thanks!
“Today, up on this hill
I'm counting all the killers
They sway as they swarm
A look of gluttons in their eyes
They mutter as the body loses warmth
They pick your bones like locks inside a tomb
And take great care to not take care of you”
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

It was a simply configuration change in the software that cleans up report HTML before saving it to the system. It was purposely removing blank paragraphs that had styling (bold, center, etc.).

Should be all set now.
“Today, up on this hill
They sway as they swarm
Wentzl
Trip Reports (48)

Post by Wentzl »

This guy still having the problem I experienced. Save a report, then type it all over again.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=21201

Notice his comment. "Typed this report 3 times, but it is not saving, so here are the cliff notes"

Will_E
14ers: 58 56
13ers: 123 2
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Will_E »

Wentzl wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:08 pm This guy still having the problem I experienced. Save a report, then type it all over again.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=21201

Notice his comment. "Typed this report 3 times, but it is not saving, so here are the cliff notes"
I’ve had that a few times also. Wish there was a way to create a report offline, then just upload it.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

I'm sorry you guys had problems saving reports. I fixed the "blank" paragraph issue that started this thread but I don't have much to go on as to why it wouldn't be saving large amounts of text.

Can anyone tell me what the page said after you clicked Save, when this happened? Did it say state that the report was updated successfully even through it didn't save text OR did it give you an error like "The Trip Report record not be updated!" ? Any info will help me look into it since I'm not seeing any database/save errors in the logs. I'm thinking it could be something weird in the 3rd-Party software that we use to validate/clean HTML before saving.
Thanks
“Today, up on this hill
They sway as they swarm
Wentzl
Trip Reports (48)

Post by Wentzl »

Will E.

I have copied and pasted draft reports into a word file off the 14er site. This has worked for me grabbing both text and photos. If the glitch drops your draft, just copy it from the word file you created and paste it back into the 14er trip report "text".

CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58 34
13ers: 120 18
Trip Reports (40)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:16 am I'm sorry you guys had problems saving reports. I fixed the "blank" paragraph issue that started this thread but I don't have much to go on as to why it wouldn't be saving large amounts of text.

Can anyone tell me what the page said after you clicked Save, when this happened? Did it say state that the report was updated successfully even through it didn't save text OR did it give you an error like "The Trip Report record not be updated!" ? Any info will help me look into it since I'm not seeing any database/save errors in the logs. I'm thinking it could be something weird in the 3rd-Party software that we use to validate/clean HTML before saving.
Thanks
I've had this happen to me a number of times as well on cell phone. It doesn't say anything, but just sends you back to the main trip report page without the content you just saved. Eventually, I did figure out if I opened my report in a new window I would find it actually did save it. Either way, I still copy before I save anything.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

Sounds like it's common enough that maybe someone will let me know when it happens and can give me enough to go on that I can look into it further. Since I can't replicate it on my own, I'll take any detailed information that I can get, when it happens. And if anyone has some text they've found will not be saved consecutively, consistently showing the problem, that would be a huge help.
“Today, up on this hill
They sway as they swarm
supranihilest
14ers: 58 35
13ers: 632 17
Trip Reports (102)

Post by supranihilest »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:13 am Ok, thanks for letting me know.

Sounds like it's common enough that maybe someone will let me know when it happens and can give me enough to go on that I can look into it further. Since I can't replicate it on my own, I'll take any detailed information that I can get, when it happens. And if anyone has some text they've found will not be saved consecutively, consistently showing the problem, that would be a huge help.
Bill, I think it's something like a cookie issue where a session ends between writing something and saving it. I've had this occur numerous times and finally just started copying the TR source before saving. Note that this isn't a logout cookie/timer, since I'll still be logged in, it's something transparent to the user. I don't have any particular examples, but here are the steps to reproduce:
  1. Open a TR, doesn't matter if it's new, in the process of being written, or already published. Make some changes but don't save.
  2. Wait a while. I don't know what the timeout is, 12 hours? 24? I've never kept track.
  3. After waiting some time, hit save and it will basically just refresh the TR editor page but without actually having saved anything. All changes are lost past the previous successful save.
Like Judd/CaptainSuburbia said, it seems to save properly if you open a new 14ers page (I think it can be any page) prior to hitting save. That seems to refresh whatever session timer there is. Or, like I said, simply copying the TR source and pasting it again after the page refreshes. Also note that this doesn't affect photos, since those are uploaded and saved independent from the TR text. Photos will remain even if the text is lost.