REI link?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jay521
Posts: 1092
Joined: 8/1/2007
14ers: 42 10
13ers: 164 25
Trip Reports (54)

REI link?

Post by Jay521 »

Hi Bill,

I just tried to go to the REI page from the Swap/Shop pulldown and got the "This site can't be reached" page. Same problem with Bent Gate but the other two links work...

Jay
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
User avatar
greenonion
Posts: 1456
Joined: 10/3/2012
14ers: 46 1
13ers: 2

Re: REI link?

Post by greenonion »

I wonder if there is a creative way to somehow better 'remind' us to use those links when we want to order from those sites. I just got a couple of things online from REI recently and completely forgot to use Bill's links (sorry Bill! - thus my wondering here...). Maybe at least periodic reminding such as quarterly and around holiday time?? I can see where some folks would rather not be reminded at all by having Bill advertise bigger and bolder, but just wondering what could make sense for those like me who forget. BTW - Good job, Jay!
User avatar
JaredJohnson
Posts: 396
Joined: 8/27/2014
14ers: 28 5
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Re: REI link?

Post by JaredJohnson »

greenonion wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:27 pm I wonder if there is a creative way to somehow better 'remind' us to use those links when we want to order from those sites
I haven't tried it so YMMV but e.g.: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ekcd?hl=en
User avatar
greenonion
Posts: 1456
Joined: 10/3/2012
14ers: 46 1
13ers: 2

Re: REI link?

Post by greenonion »

JaredJohnson wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:25 pm
greenonion wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:27 pm I wonder if there is a creative way to somehow better 'remind' us to use those links when we want to order from those sites
I haven't tried it so YMMV but e.g.: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ekcd?hl=en
Great idea! To confirm, are you suggesting that the Redirector be used on the REI home page (and the other 14er merchants sites) so that it will redirect to 14er.com home page so one can click on Bill’s links to get to those sites via 14erville, instead of forgetting and going straight to the merchant as I have done? Seems logical but want to be sure I’m following this suggested intent.
User avatar
JaredJohnson
Posts: 396
Joined: 8/27/2014
14ers: 28 5
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Re: REI link?

Post by JaredJohnson »

greenonion wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:04 pm
JaredJohnson wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:25 pm
greenonion wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:27 pm I wonder if there is a creative way to somehow better 'remind' us to use those links when we want to order from those sites
I haven't tried it so YMMV but e.g.: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ekcd?hl=en
Great idea! To confirm, are you suggesting that the Redirector be used on the REI home page (and the other 14er merchants sites) so that it will redirect to 14er.com home page so one can click on Bill’s links to get to those sites via 14erville, instead of forgetting and going straight to the merchant as I have done? Seems logical but want to be sure I’m following this suggested intent.
That's right. There's a plugin I use designed just to send you to Amazon Smile whenever you go to Amazon.com and I've forgotten it exists but the browser never forgets.

The fact that it allows you to forget the redirect exists, might become a downside eventually when you switch browsers/devices
User avatar
greenonion
Posts: 1456
Joined: 10/3/2012
14ers: 46 1
13ers: 2

Re: REI link?

Post by greenonion »

JaredJohnson wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:02 am
greenonion wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:04 pm
JaredJohnson wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:25 pm

I haven't tried it so YMMV but e.g.: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ekcd?hl=en
Great idea! To confirm, are you suggesting that the Redirector be used on the REI home page (and the other 14er merchants sites) so that it will redirect to 14er.com home page so one can click on Bill’s links to get to those sites via 14erville, instead of forgetting and going straight to the merchant as I have done? Seems logical but want to be sure I’m following this suggested intent.
That's right. There's a plugin I use designed just to send you to Amazon Smile whenever you go to Amazon.com and I've forgotten it exists but the browser never forgets.

The fact that it allows you to forget the redirect exists, might become a downside eventually when you switch browsers/devices
Thanks again. Appears to be a good idea still.
User avatar
Jay521
Posts: 1092
Joined: 8/1/2007
14ers: 42 10
13ers: 164 25
Trip Reports (54)

Re: REI link?

Post by Jay521 »

Bump
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
User avatar
dpage
Posts: 914
Joined: 7/4/2009
14ers: 58 2
13ers: 28 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: REI link?

Post by dpage »

I have no problem reaching it from the support 14ers.com page
User avatar
Jay521
Posts: 1092
Joined: 8/1/2007
14ers: 42 10
13ers: 164 25
Trip Reports (54)

Re: REI link?

Post by Jay521 »

Hmmm I still can't get it from the swap/shop pulldown

This is the link it sends me to which says the server IP address cannot be found.

https://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt= ... 2&pw=55331
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Post Reply