hiking half moon trail in the dark

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lpecekjr
14ers: List not added

hiking half moon trail in the dark

Post by lpecekjr »

Hi all: I am planning on a hike up Holy Cross via Half Moon Trail on the standard route (North Roidge). I will be doing this hike as a day trip. So I am planning on leaving at about 3am. As \it will be dark and I have not been on this trail before and for those who have, I am asking if any of you know if the trail is easy to follow, with a headlamp, in the dark as I make my way down to where the campsites are by East Cross Creek. At that time it should be getting light and I should be good to continue to the top of Holy Cross.

Thanks in advance and appreciate yiur time to reply.
OldTrad
14ers: 36
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (4)

Re: hiking half moon trail in the dark

Post by OldTrad »

lpecekjr wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:44 am Hi all: I am planning on a hike up Holy Cross via Half Moon Trail on the standard route (North Roidge). I will be doing this hike as a day trip. So I am planning on leaving at about 3am. As \it will be dark and I have not been on this trail before and for those who have, I am asking if any of you know if the trail is easy to follow, with a headlamp, in the dark as I make my way down to where the campsites are by East Cross Creek. At that time it should be getting light and I should be good to continue to the top of Holy Cross.

Thanks in advance and appreciate yiur time to reply.
It's super easy to follow assuming you pay attention as you would on any trail during day or night hours.
Jorts
14ers: 51 3 1
13ers: 78 15 8
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jorts »

Straightforward but s**t happens when you party naked and/or without light. Just upload the route in caltopo or your preferred nav app and download it for use offline. Then you'll have a fallback if any problems arise.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @summityinzer
Strava: Brent Herring
nyker
14ers: 58
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Not too hard but bring extra batteries just in case and another light source (phone) in case you actually need to change them in the dark.
lpecekjr
14ers: List not added

Post by lpecekjr »

Thanks all who replied to my question pertaining to hiking Half Moon trail in the dark...appreciate it. And if anyone has additional info to share please do.

I also would like to know if anyone has climed Holy Cross 2nd or 3rd week of July and what the weather was like. Thanks for your comments in advance.
nyker
14ers: 58
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I was up there once in mid July and once in early Aug....ostensibly both time periods of similar weather - one day was 80F, calm and sunny near cloudless all day, the other day snowed 8" near whiteout and was stormy until around 2pm, where the forecast only had ~ 30-40% "rain showers" at the time. Two people got off route and got lost coming down, we passed two rangers going up then to find them. So in short watch the weather and be prepared for either condition, with layers, a shell, insulation layer, warm hat, headlamp/batteries extra food etc..