Advice on alpine touring setup?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 117 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Advice on alpine touring setup?

Post by kwhit24 »

spoony wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:35 am
Some of you probably know this already, but the Black Diamond Guide Transceiver you purchased is subject to a possible recall because it may not switch from send to search mode. See info here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/Black ... der%20snow.

How do you like the Wildcat Tours? My resort powder ski is the Moment Bibby (the sort-of predecessor of the Wildcat) and it is my favorite ski ever.
Yeah I got the email a couple months ago. It passed safety check last winter but I have been meaning to check it again since not all the devices were defective

I really like the WC Tours. It combines a lot of what I love about my Blister Pro (same as Biddy/Wildcat. 116 underfoot amazing on powder or just blasting groomers). Light but still has the power to get through crud. The Shifts also add a bit of weight which I don't mind because I feel more in control on the downhill. I feel somewhat uneasy with really light skis under me
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
timstich
14ers: 11 

Post by timstich »

All I can say is that I was not all that fond of my Silvretta 500s, even for resort skiing. Hard to get into. But I was never that good of a skier, so gave up on backcountry dreams.
SkaredShtles

Post by SkaredShtles »

timstich wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:43 pm All I can say is that I was not all that fond of my Silvretta 500s, even for resort skiing. Hard to get into. But I was never that good of a skier, so gave up on backcountry dreams.
Silvretta's? I'm not surprised you were dissatisfied. :lol: