3 (0=Paved, 6=Very Difficult 4WD)
Easy 4WD to the restrooms. 4WD to the upper TH.
Take US 550 to Ouray. 1/4 mile south of town, turn west onto Country Road (CR) 361 (2WD, Dirt) toward Yankee Boy Basin and start measuring mileage from this point. Your mileage may vary slightly, but the following list describes the turns and milestones:
Driving beyond this point requires high-clearance 4WD
- 4.6 miles: Stay right on CR 26.
- 5.2 miles: The road is cut into the cliffs like a "C" so there is rock hanging over the road.
- 5.9 miles: Stay right on CR 26 at the junction for Imogene Pass.
- 6.7 miles: Stay right at the junction for Governor Basin. The remaining drive is 4WD and 2WD cars should park at or near this junction.
- 7.5 miles: Reach the lower "trailhead" where there's a restroom.
- 100 yards after the restroom parking area, pass a large rock and stay right at a junction.
- 8.0 miles: Stay right.
- 8.2 miles: There's a sign that recommends only 4WD, high-clearance, short-wheelbase. 4WD vehicles can continue another mile to the signed, upper trailhead at 12,460'.
Usually closed low on the road.