Peak(s):  Huron Peak  -  14,003 feet
Date Posted:  07/28/2020
Modified:  07/29/2020
Date Climbed:   07/24/2020
Author:  glett74
 3 Attempts But Weather Always Wins!   

The whole morning was overcast with all Three Apostles and Huron socked in by clouds. We started at 6 am. It had rained the previous night all night long. We camped just before the junction where the Three Apostles path and Lake Ann path diverge (10,800').

Three Apostles covered in clouds

Not a very long report, but we attempted Huron Peak via the southwest route. This route is not commonly used as it is not maintained. However, our group is always up for a route with more solitude and a bit more challenge. We actually loved the route through the thick woods. Even though we had to hurdle numerous downed trees, the beauty and serenity were worth it. It was a steady and easy climb to tree line. Once we left the trees, there are three boulder fields and several patches of willows to mountaineer. The recommended route across these boulder fields and willows is to try and maintain elevation with very slight gain. A few in our party took a higher line with more boulders and less willows. I took the recommended route staying in the willows at times. I gained about 600 feet across the bolder fields and willows at a distance of just under 1 mile.


We stopped at about 12,600 just below the saddle to reassess the weather. It was only about 8:30 am and the weather was not improving. If anything, the clouds were thicker. We waited 15-20 minutes before deciding it was not worth the risk of a storm and being exposed well above tree line. We headed back down to camp.


Many hikers would have continued and taken the risk. However, we take lightning seriously and knowing our own abilities, decided conservatively. We do not regret our decision and still loved being in the mountains and enjoying God's creation. We woke up at 2:30 am on Saturday morning to consider the traditional northwest route and watch sunrise. However, it was raining so we went back to sleep. We again assessed the weather Saturday morning at 6 am to consider one more try, but the clouds and intermittent rain were just not what we had hoped for. We will return for another attempt and pray for sunny skies! :)

Thumbnails for uploaded photos (click to open slideshow):
1 2 3 4 5

Comments or Questions
right choice
07/28/2020 21:07
You made the right choice, weather on Fri and Sat was terrible and got terrible early. I remember driving at 3am Sat it was raining, it did stop raining from 4 to 11, but always overcast, and then poured at 11. huron is a beautiful peak and deserves to be enjoyed with sunny weather.

   Not registered?

Caution: The information contained in this report may not be accurate and should not be the only resource used in preparation for your climb. Failure to have the necessary experience, physical conditioning, supplies or equipment can result in injury or death. and the author(s) of this report provide no warranties, either express or implied, that the information provided is accurate or reliable. By using the information provided, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless and the report author(s) with respect to any claims and demands against them, including any attorney fees and expenses. Please read the Safety and Disclaimer pages for more information.

Please respect private property: supports the rights of private landowners to determine how and by whom their land will be used. In Colorado, it is your responsibility to determine if land is private and to obtain the appropriate permission before entering the property.

© 2021®, 14ers Inc.